Monday, March 4, 2013

DO NOT IGNORE THIS POST JUST BECAUSE IT TALKS ABOUT FAMILY HISTORY. It's awesome

This week my roommate and I decided to venture into the world of family history work. Like most members of my church I've been feeling like this is something that I should do for a while but had no idea where to start. The whole idea seemed way too overwhelming. However this last month the feeling that I needed to start became even more overpowering then the feelings of fear that I had before. So, with the help of a friend, my roommate and I began our work (and I really do mean "began" We have not gotten very far, haha!) I had no idea however how much fun it would be. Already we've shared several laughs at some of the family names, like Bastardo (ironically there is not a father listed for him.) We also had a good laugh when I tried to Google my great great grandparents to see if I could find any records on them that would give me their birth or death dates and ran into an article about a Simona Castillo who had several counts of murder and was currently being charged with the death of Elias Castillo. I was very glad to find out that this was not the Simona and Elias that I am related to :) So the search goes on. I don't really have a purpose for this post other then to say that family history work can be fun. Especially when done with friends. Do it!

For any, or I guess I should say all of you, who are now interested in doing family history work after reading this random post here are the websites to get started.

familysearch.org

lds.org and do a search for family history and there are sites that tell you how to get started

(or you can just become friends with Spencer Cope, he's awesome) 

2 comments:

  1. Sam and I just started going to the new FH class in our ward. I'm excited! My family is hard because I have very zealous aunts who have been working on it a ton, but I'm super stoked to help with Sam's side. The farthest back his goes on his dad's side is... his dad! So that's going to be a lot of fun!
    I think it's great for the younger generation to be getting involved with this. Let's be honest, once we get the hang of it, our computer savvy will be very handy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you guys are doing that. Miss you :)

    ReplyDelete