Thursday, December 9, 2010

Grandpa

I am terrible at keeping journals, I always have been. I think the main reason for this is because when something big happens to me I always feel too overwhelmed to write about it, and then by the time I do write again I feel like there is so much I have to catch up on. That's probably why I haven't blogged in awhile.

On Sunday November 21, 2010 my grandpa passed away. He was 89 years old, so it wasn't too unexpected. However, I still couldn't seem to hold the tears back when I heard the news. My grandpa was a wonderful man.

I actually went down to California the weekend before he died to be a bridesmaid in my cousin's wedding. It was a beautiful day and I got see alot of my family including my grandparents. That night my grandparents competed in a slow dance to see who had been married the longest, and of course my grandparents won (after being married for 69 years!)

The next day I made my way back to Utah. I had to wait in St. George for awhile to meet up with someone, so my friend and I went and walked around the St. George temple. It was beautiful even if it was freezing, and the spirit was so strong. As I drove out of the temple parking lot I got the call to let me know my grandpa passed away.

I was not planning on going home for thanksgiving because I had gone down the weekend before for the wedding, however since I had to go down for the funeral that Saturday I decided to be with my family for Thanksgiving. I can't really talk about that weekend. It was amazing, I felt the spirit so strongly. Each of my grandparent's 8 kids spoke a little at his funeral. It was definitely something I'll never forget.

So I know that this is really long which means that I've probably lost everyone's attention by now, but I don't care this was mostly just for myself. A chance to recognize how truly blessed I am, and a chance to say I love you Grandpa, you are such an example to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment